Friday, March 13, 2009

That dress!

Is it just me or does everyone have a sewing project nemesis? Before xmas I started a dress up cinderalla outfit for little miss p. I did it proper like. Bought a proper pattern. Read all the instructions from start to finish. Bought everything I needed to be able to make it in one sitting, u know like proper sewing folk do. I even made a muslin draft of the bodice so it couldn't go wrong.... ahhhh but it did, it ALL went wrong from start to finish. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. I had to redo the bodice about a million times because I sewed it in the wrong order or upside down. The fabric slipped all over the place when cutting, when sewing. It was like trying to sew jelly and the tuille.... don't get me started. The sleeves didn't fit, EVER, even though I tried 3, yes 3 times!! Needless to say it wasn't finished for xmas.
I must have a screw loose, because to try and lift me from my sewing lull I decided to have one more try. ET voila!!

Post christmas things continued to go wrong, but I wasn't going to be beaten so I made a few changes just to get it done. I cut so many corners its a wonder it didn't turn into a quilt. I got rid of the sleeves and put in elasticated straps instead.

I finally handed it to little miss P today and she loves it (even though its not finished properly and its too big) but it turned out ok, especially the side drapes.

Whilst filing the pattern away into my pile of sewing projects never ever to be repeated I couldn't decide if I'm a crap sewer for not being able to complete the pattern as intened, or in fact I was a genius sewer (yeah right) for being able to adapt it into something that I think works better. Hmmmm, actually what I decided was that I'm going to design a new simpler pattern which anyone can make without the trauma I've been through. I wonder what kind of sewer that makes me then?

No comments: