Monday, March 2, 2009

My first sewing convention & look what I scored!!

A couple of weeks ago I went to the Fete d'aguille, which literally means needle party. It was basically a sewers delight. It was great to see so many women of different nationalities and there was so much energy, passion and anticipation as we queued to get in. The northern europeans politely stood in line whilst the latins grouped round and all tried to get in at once! It was fab just people watching! I've never seen so many packed lunches in one place talk about GIRL POWER. It was like being part of a special club!
There were loads of stands from which to purchase everything and anything to do with sewing. There was an amazing video about how a channel couture dress/collection is made from start to finish (it even included fly on the wall shots of Karl Largerfield who turns out to be rather an odd man). Its the first time I've been to something like this and I loved every minute of it. What was dissapointing though was the relative lack of fabrics available from new and vibrant fabric designers. A lot of deep reds, browns and more tradditional patchwork styles were in abundance, mixed in with the odd lower key tones from the likes of Sandi Henderson and Amy Butler. But in general the french stands especially were very much 'old style' patchwork.
The highlight of the show was finding these amazing Echino fabrics at bargain prices!! I love Echino and I'd been eyeing these on various stores for ages. I couldn't believe it when I saw them all at a fraction of the prices on-line. The ladies on the stand didn't take credit cards so I just emptied my wallet in their hands and bought what I could!




No comments: