Thursday, March 19, 2009

Doll quilt



This is the first quilt I ever made from start to finish without the aid/support/finishing skills of my mum. Its a doll quilt for the ikea dolls bed we bought for little miss P (this was before we reaslied she doesn't like/play with dolls. She's a 'sofite/cuddly toy.. preferably rabbit' kinda gal. It breaks my heart when she rejects the dolls I make for her. I had such dreams of spending hours dressing dolls and decorating dolls houses.....






This quilt was supposed to be added to an 'upgraded and reworked' version of the full bedding set which IKEA supplies, however, due to aforementioned blip in my vision of my little girls childhood, it never got finished. She never played with it. I always meant to finish it though, so, when I talked about it to a friend who then went on to actually do what I only talk about it inspired me to take action.


So, you'd think I'd make it easy on myself, oohhhnnnooooosireeeeeee. I decided to start with the little pillow which was a blue colour which showed through the fabric. So first I created a cream lining to mask the blue.


I then made an envelope pillow, but I wanted it to tie in with the quilt and I wanted to learn a new skill and creating piping is something I've always wanted to try. I used a tutorial from Portabellopixie


These are a couple of picks of the corners. I can't post a picture of the whole thing as some of went the sides were a bit wonky. I was pleased with my first attempt but need perfect the skill, its harder than it looks but the effect is great!

1 comment:

Dante said...

Great Quilt...I love the patterns that you've chosen and the color combinations.